Start 2018 off right!
Last Chance to Save!
Wrap Up your Holidays!
As 2017 drew to a close it seemed like we were being inundated with messages. Everything from The Best Top 10 Lists to 17 Tweets That Sum Up 2017. The final days of 2017 felt somewhat familiar…like the final days of the school year. The excitement gradually building up before Christmas Holidays.
Being educators, we try to recharge over the holidays. It is blessing that we get to have some quiet reflection time before we head into the second half of the school year.
Thinking ahead to 2018, my thoughts naturally go to the students for whom we serve. Those students who needed us the most and displayed this in the only way they knew how…
- those students who pushed us a little too much
- those students who spoke to us a little too harshly
- those students who kept their distance and pretended that they were okay
I wonder how these same students will view 2018? Will 2018 feel like a new beginning for them or will they follow a similar script from 2017? As a leader, I want to be that someone who helps to change the script for these students. I want to be part of that new script. A positive script; a script of new beginnings. I wish for all students to trust the magic of beginnings.
For our students a new or positive script can mean…
- starting the year off with a clean slate
- knowing that each day is a fresh start
- trusting that mistakes made are part of learning and growing
- being back in a familiar place that feels safe
- connecting to someone or something
I have been thinking about my #oneword for 2018 and it has proven to be a challenging task. Through this process I have gone back and forth with what I think my word will be and why. I have had many conversations in my head about this. I have reflected on last year’s word and I was happy with it. The word was believe. It was and continues to be a word that instills in me, hope. The word believe keeps the kindness message at the forefront of everything I do because kindness is what I live and model for my school community daily.
As I head into 2018 I have decided that I, too, need to trust the magic of beginnings. I, therefore, have chosen the word Beginning as my #oneword. I am excited to start my journey…
- beginning each day with a purpose in mind
- beginning each day with time to put my thoughts into a journal or post
- beginning each day with positive messages to teachers, students and parents
- beginning each day working on relationships with all students
- beginning each day intentionally in classrooms with students and teachers
- beginning each day with a plan to focus on less and to do it really well
I wish you all a Happy New Year and encourage you to reflect upon the ‘magic of beginnings’ as you make your way through 2018!